University School’s 1:1 Program will provide students in grades three through twelve with a dedicated personal computing device throughout the school day and beyond. This new initiative supports USM’s mission to “embrace the challenges and opportunities of the future” in an equitable, student-centered, and forward-thinking learning community.
We have developed a school-wide Academic Technology philosophy:
Academic Technology at University School provides students the:
SUPPORT ALL LEARNERS, and
SHARE WITH THE GLOBAL COMMUNITY.
With our consultants, Educational Collaborators, we have created 1:1 goals that correspond closely with the philosophy as follows:
1. Promote a faculty-wide understanding of the role and value of networked resources in a rigorous academic program
2. Encourage creativity and exploration
3. Increase collaboration and sharing with the global community
4. Teach discernment and ethical conduct in all use of technology
5. Promote problem-solving, application, analysis, synthesis, debate, and discussion
6. Increase opportunities for differentiated instruction and assessment
7. Improve communication and collaboration among teachers, students, and parents
8. Enhance access to educational resources
9. Increase long-term fiscal and environmental sustainability.
Our 1:1 Program implementation will take place over the next two years. In the 2012-2013 school year, we will begin with grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 10. In the 2013-2014 school year, third through eleventh grade will all be part of the 1:1 Program.